1. Qi flows within the ground, follows the contour of the terrain, and pools where the contour runs its course.
2. For burial, seek the source and ride it to its terminus.
3. Arteries give rise to ground contours.
4. Bones give rise to mountain contours.
5. They wind sinuously from east to west or from south to north.
6. Thousands of feet distant, they are contours; hundreds of feet nigh, they are features.
7. Contours advance and terminate in features. This is called total qi.
8. On ground of total qi burial must occur at its terminus.